Offering Climate Aware Therapeutic Support
Are you a trained and qualified psychological professional such as a counsellor, psychotherapist, clinical psychologist, psychiatrist or coach who cares deeply about the climate and ecological crisis? Are you working on your own eco-related distress and would like to offer some of your time for free to help others manage theirs? Do you have the capacity for the deep listening, support and validation that is desperately needed?
CPA has a Directory of Therapeutic Support Practitioners who offer up to three free sessions. This is offered to anyone over the age of 18 who is experiencing eco-related distress, including that arising from eco-activism or work in the climate field. Many Practitioners on the Directory also offer this support to people who have been arrested or imprisoned for climate activism.
The aim of Climate Aware Therapeutic Support
- Offering a listening and holding space for people to talk about their eco-related distress. This might include alienation from family and friends, talk of elective childlessness and suicidal ideation;
- Validating people’s responses to the Climate emergency, whatever they might be;
- Talking through people’s experience of climate activism and any related arrests/ imprisonment;
- Helping people to understand complex individual and cultural responses as the crisis unfolds and we face into the unthinkable;
- Collaborating with people to develop resilience, so that they can contribute to sustainable communities and prepare for change;
- Signposting to other services or ongoing counselling.
How to join
To join the CPA Climate Aware Therapeutic Support Directory you must be a qualified and registered psychological professional with professional indemnity insurance. You must also be a member of the CPA. Click here to join. You can either pay the full fee or, if this is uncomfortable for you or you are joining predominantly to join the Therapeutic Support Directory, you can opt to pay the reduced fee. We particularly welcome TS Practitioners from minority and under-represented backgrounds and if you identify as a person of colour we can, if you wish, put you in touch with the CPA Affinity Group for BIPoC members who meet monthly for support and to work on ideas for in-reach and outreach projects.
Once you are a CPA member, please
Please note that, before joining, we will ask you to provide details of your engagement with your own process connected with the climate and ecological crisis and any relevant trainings undertaken. We actively encourage you to continue such engagement and training once you have joined the TS Directory.
Once you have joined the TS Directory
You will be sent an introduction pack with helpful information and tips about what Therapeutic Support is in practice. Please note that CPA is not operating a counselling service or promoting individual practitioners. We simply operate a Directory of climate aware Practitioners who offer the free sessions of Therapeutic Support. CPA does not guarantee that individual TS Practitioners will be contacted for Therapeutic Support.
If you have any questions do